Nominate a Senior
Do you know a deserving senior who would benefit from a Wish fulfilled? Or are you a senior who has dreamed of doing something that would have a positive impact on your life? Make a change for someone special. Nominating a senior for a Wish can be a life-changing experience for you and the senior.
– Help us gather pertinent information about the senior and their dream for our Wish Committee – Work directly with our Wish managers to make the Wish as special as possible
– Can attend Wish experiences or send-off celebrations
– Share the senior’s story with their friends and family.
Please review our Wish Guidelines below, and if you or a loved one qualifies, we invite you to send us your “Wish of a Lifetime” by filling out our Wish Application. Please note, during the coronavirus crisis, Wish of a Lifetime has modified its wish-granting program to focus on virtual wishes. If the Wish meets our criteria, the application will go through a thorough interview and evaluation process. Our Wish Managers will contact you to begin the interview once an initial screening is conducted.
If you would prefer to mail or email in an application, a paper copy can be downloaded here. Please note that an email or mailed application will take longer to process than one submitted through the website.
Guidelines for Qualification
- Minimum age of 65
- A Legal Resident or Citizen of the United States of America
- Unable to fulfill the Wish on your own
- Capable of experiencing the Wish
- Not convicted of a felony
- Able to obtain approval from a doctor, if necessary
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Wish of a Lifetime?
What types of Wishes will not be granted?
- Financial Assistance (cash payment of bills, rent, taxes, etc.)
- Housing Assistance (home repair/modification, assistance moving, locating housing, etc.) • Home Furnishings
- Technology (computers, phones, cell phones, TV’s)
- Medical care or services
- Legal Services
- Vehicle (purchase, repair, modification)
- Potentially harmful or dangerous wishes
- Wishes on behalf of others under 65
- Assistance finding employment
- Wishes that extend beyond the life of the Wish Recipient (funeral arrangements, headstones, etc.)
- Continuous Wishes (Wishes for a pet, season tickets, etc.)
A note about travel: We do not send seniors on vacation. Travel must be purpose-driven, with a dream achieved during or as a result of the trip.
What is the application process like?
- Nominator or Applicant fills out and submits our Wish Application
- Wish of a Lifetime will evaluate the wish to ensure it meets our criteria, and will contact you if the applicant or Wish does not meet the criteria or if it is not feasible
- If the wish meets our criteria, a Wish of a Lifetime representative will call and interview the Nominator, then the Applicant to learn more about the Wish
- Wish of a Lifetime’s Wish Committee will make a final determination as to whether the wish will be granted
- If declined, Nominator and/or Applicant will be notified
- If approved, a Wish of a Lifetime representative will contact Nominator and Applicant to start the planning and fulfillment process
Please note: With very few exceptions, we do not grant “surprise” wishes, where the senior is unaware that the wish will be happening.
What does WOL do with my address and contact information?
Do you only grant Wishes in Colorado?
Who pays for the Wishes?
How are flights handled?
Who can come with me on my Wish?
What if I need a caregiver?
How are travel expenses handled?
- Reimbursement: Wish Recipient and/or Participants will be reimbursed for meals according to our Per Diem allotment. Recipient and/or Participants must keep and submit itemized receipts in order to be reimbursed.
- Covered: Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner while traveling. Pre-approved travel needs, i.e. taxi rides, bus fare, car rental, gas, etc.
- Not Covered: Alcohol, souvenirs, other incidentals
If I'm traveling overnight, how long can I stay?
What if I want to change my Wish?
Will WOL grant me a family reunion Wish?
What if my Wish is to publish a book?
- WOL will not edit or create content
- WOL will publish and print books for personal use by the Wish Recipient and/or their friends and family
- WOL will not publish material with the intention that it be sold or distributed to the general public
- The Wish Recipient will need to provide WOL with a fully edited and ready to publish Word Document, which we will convert into a printable book on a self-publishing website.
- Based on the content, WOL will offer the wish recipient a few options on color, print quality and binding. The number of books that we can provide will be based on the cost of each option.
- With a few exceptions, WOL will typically not offer more than 10 copies of a book. Recipients may separately purchase more copies of the book after the initial printing.